Happy Monday! This is not a very traditional beauty or travel post, but one I really wanted to write anyway.
Prior to becoming a hobo, I had a real life job that paid me. I was gainfully employed by House of Fraser HQ in the Beauty team.
When I told my boss (technically, my bosses boss!) I was leaving (at the busiest time of year no less) to live a life of unemployment and travel — she was so supportive. I know that I was luckier than most people in that she (Ruth) was a former professional hobo herself so it was no surprise that she embraced my plans with open arms and never once questioned whether I was doing the right thing in taking another career break.
My other boss, Chloe was also super supportive despite the fact I was buggering off before she came back from maternity leave….all she wanted was a small elephant. It’s in the post.
Starting a travel blog was always part of the plan for Oli and I — we wanted to keep our friends and family in the loop and have a nice little memento of our travels. I wanted to add beauty too, but didn’t know how it would fit and didn’t feel truly confident to do it as I’m seriously no beauty expert (I regularly have a foundation mask, and sport lipstick on my teeth more times than I care to remember).
But I’ve done it, and gaining the confidence really and truly came from my Beautiful Beauty colleagues. They even brainstormed the name for my little beauty series in a meeting — Jess came up with Beauty on the Beach (aka BOTB).
They’ve long been our most vocal supporters (Jess needs an award!) , commenting regularly and letting me know they’ve read and enjoyed it (even if they haven’t!) and most importantly — actually allowing us the privilege of invading their inboxes a few times a week with our drivel. That’s love.
So as a way of saying a huge kissy, cuddly virtual Thank You, here are some reasons why the HoF Beauty team rock.
– Because they get up at silly o clock on a Monday morning to report on what happened the previous week to some seriously scary #meninbadlyfittingsuits.
– Because before most people have had their first cup of tea, they already know what happened in 60 different stores, across thousands of different products over the weekend, and why!
– Because they love food. Despite being svelte and perfectly groomed, the beautiful Beauty team love nothing more than stuffing their faces. Treat Day = Every Day.
– Because they all have the best sense of humour, and filthy mouths. All lipsticked, natch (even Andy’s).
– Because there will be someone around to take you for a Diet Coke when you’ve had a bad day, and just want to cry ( as we all know, DC cures all).
– Because everyone is equal and has a voice….although honestly, mine was pretty loud so you may not have heard anything else.
– Because you may be called upon to attend Beauty events whereby all food and drinks are yellow (in aid of a certain, very famous yellow moisturiser). Surreal.
– Because Estee Lauder send this man in to do your work for you.
– Because sometimes you have to test weird beauty products at your desk …….like hair parting dust.
– Because sometimes, you will all turn up wearing the same clothes.
– Because inexplicably everyone goes to Tossed for breakfast, despite knowing the service is beyond heinous, and complain bitterly about it afterwards (Chloe — you know what you’ve done).
– Because nicknames abound. Muff, anyone? (Ok that’s kind of an in joke, sorry).
– Because some of the people I met here, are my favourite people in the entire world.
They’re not all in here by the way! Ruth, Chloe, Bex and so many more are all missing…..
So there you go. Thanks HoF Beauty team past and present, I ❤️ you all!
If this post had made you want to work for House of Fraser — head to House of Careers and check out their job board.
If you enjoyed this post, why not sign up (pop your email address in the sidebar) so you never miss one again! Please also feel free to share on Twitter, Facetubes and all the other social bunkum that goes on these days.