How do I create a dynamic dependent drop-down list in Excel?
To make your primary drop-down list, configure an Excel Data Validation rule in this way:
- Select a cell in which you want the dropdown to appear (D3 in our case).
- On the Data tab, in the Data Tools group, click Data Validation.
- In the Data Validation dialog box, do the following: Under Allow, select List.
How do you create a conditional drop-down list in Excel?
Create the Drop Down List
- Select the cell(s) where you want the drop down list of customers.
- On the Ribbon, click the Data tab, then click Data Validation.
- In the Data Validation dialog box, under Allow, select List.
- In the Source box, type an IF formula that refers to the active cell, and the named lists.
What is a dynamic drop down list?
A dynamic drop down list in Microsoft® Excel® is a convenient way of selecting data without making changes to the source. Data Validation is used for restricting what type of data should or can be entered into a range.
How do I create a dynamic drop down list in Excel without blank?
How to Create Dynamic Drop Down List without Blank in Excel
- Step1: select cell A2 next to the original data list B1:B8, and type the following formula in Cell A2, and copy it down to cell A8, and it will number the cells that are not blank.
What is a dynamic drop down list in Excel?
A dynamic drop down list in Microsoft® Excel® is a convenient way of selecting data without making changes to the source. Let’s say you have a list where you are likely to add or remove values, a dynamic drop down would be the best option to select data.
How do you create a Data Validation based on another cell?
To perform this, select a range of cells and under the Data tab select the Data Validation option. In the Data Validation Dialogue box, select the Custom option as Validation Criteria. In the formula section, write =$B$2=”Insert Data” and press OK. Now in the selected range put any data you want and press enter.
How do I change a cell value based on another cell value?
Excel formulas for conditional formatting based on cell value
- Select the cells you want to format.
- On the Home tab, in the Styles group, click Conditional formatting > New Rule…
- In the New Formatting Rule window, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format.
- Enter the formula in the corresponding box.
How can I auto fill cells based on selection from a drop-down list?
#2 Go to DATA tab, click Data Validation command under Data Tools group. #3 the Data Validation window will appear. #4 change the Allow: value to “List” from the drop-down list under Validation criteria section.
How do you update a drop down list in Excel?
Go to Formulas > Name Manager. In the Name Manager box, click the named range you want to update. Click in the Refers to box, and then on your worksheet select all of the cells that contain the entries for your drop-down list. Click Close, and then click Yes to save your changes.
How to create a drop-down list in Excel?
If you cannot find the Developer tab in the ribbon, please enable the Developer tab as follows. 1).
How do you make a drop down in Excel?
Open the Excel document in which you want to create a drop-down list.
How to insert drop down list Excel?
1) In a new worksheet, type the entries you want to appear in your drop-down list. Ideally, you’ll have your list items in an Excel table. If you don’t, then you can quickly convert your list to a table by selecting any cell in the range, and pressing Ctrl+T . 2) Select the cell in the worksheet where you want the drop-down list. 3) Go to the Data tab on the Ribbon, then Data Validation . 4) On the Settings tab, in the Allow box, click List . 5) Click in the Source box, then select your list range. We put ours on a sheet called Cities, in range A2:A9. Note that we left out the header row, because we don’t want that to be a selection option: 6) If it’s OK for people to leave the cell empty, check the Ignore blank box. 7) Check the In-cell dropdown box. 8) Click the Input Message tab. – If you want a message to pop up when the cell is clicked, check the Show input message when cell is selected box, and type a title and message in the boxes (up to 225 characters). If you don’t want a message to show up, clear the check box. 9) Click the Error Alert tab. – If you want a message to pop up when someone enters something that’s not in your list, check the Show error alert after invalid data is entered box, pick an option from the Style box, and type a title and message. If you don’t want a message to show up, clear the check box. 10) Not sure which option to pick in the Style box? – To show a message that doesn’t stop people from entering data that isn’t in the drop-down list, click Information or Warning. Information will show a message with this icon and Warning will show a message with this icon .- To stop people from entering data that isn’t in the drop-down list, click Stop . See More…